Rudy’s Recipe: Campfire Mexican Skillet Pizza
Campfire Mexican Skillet Pizza
- 2 packages Crescent roll dough
- 1 cup chunky salsa, (mild, medium, or hot … whatever you fancy)
- 2 cups pizza sauce (16oz)
- 1 ½ pounds ground meat (hamburger or turkey)
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 T oregano
Brown ground meat in cast iron skillet and drain off cooking grease.
Stir in salsa, 1 tbsp oregano, heat 3 – 4 minutes, then remove mixture and set aside.
Wipe out your skillet bottom leaving just a light coating of cooking grease. Cover bottom of skillet, and approx. 1” up the sides of skillet with the Crescent roll dough, discard any leftover dough.
Spread 1 cup pizza sauce over crescent roll dough. Add ground meat & salsa mix and spread smooth.
Pour over rest of pizza sauce. Mix the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses and cover the skillet mixture, sprinkle remaining oregano over top cheese.
Very Important! For the next step, cook over low campfire coals for a slow heat. Skillet should not sit directly on coals.
Cover skillet with lid and cook approximately 20 – 30 minutes. Rotate skillet ½ turn after ten minutes. Check crust on sides after 20 minutes. Cook until side crusts start to brown on top edges.
– Recipe courtesy of Pinterest.
Leave a Reply